SALCANTAY TREK TO MACHUPICHU - SHORT VERSION SINCE $695 USD Per Person
Hike From The Andes To High Jungle Of Machupichu
4 Days - 3 Nights
Salcantay trek short version to Machupichu is organized exclusive for people with limit time looking for nice hike and amazing views of the real Andes and the high jungle around Machupichu.
This short version of Salcantay trek is considerate one of the best option for hike through remote villages and snowy mountain of Salcantay and humantay. Also this trek combines the drastic change of nature and the scenery.
PERU ADVENTURE TOUR organizes daily departures for this unforgettable trekking with the best camp staff.
TREK ITINERARY OF SALCANTAY TREK TO MACHUPICHU
DAY 1: CUSCO - MOLLEPATA - SORAYPAMPA
At 5am we will pick up from hotel and private transfer to the town of Mollepata (2900m) where we will arrive approximately at 8am to have breakfast. On the way from Cusco to Mollepata you see amazing panoramic views of Salcantay snowpeak and the third deepest canyon named Apurimac. On Mollepata we will mee the second camp staff (horsemen, cook, horses or mules, etc), after we fix our personal gear, food anb camping equipment in the horses we will begin the trekking toward Sayllapata (3210m). The trek goes through stony trail crossing springs, small canyons and fully of bushes.
After 4 hours of hike we will arrive lunch served by our profesional cook., then we will keep going hiking to Soraypampa village (3870m), we visit this remote villaje just for short time and then continue to the camp site located on the bottom of the Andes. Set up our tents and te time and we end this day with delicious dinner (lunch - Tee time - Dinner).
DAY 2: SORAYPAMPA - CHALLWAY VALLEY
Today you will see how the nature changes drastically from dry sceneries to snowy peaks and tropical areas. After a nutritious breakfast, we will start the most difficult part of the trek. We will start the hike around 7am in the morning. We will hike to a place called Pampas Salcantay, then go toward the left side of the snowpeak of Umantay located next to the Apu Salkantay. At midday, we will be on the highest point (4600m). We will appreciate spectacular views of the mountains and the imposing snowy peaks of the Salkantay (6260m) which is known as the second highest point of the Cusco region. Around 1pm we will have our lunch, in the area called Huayracmachay. After a trek of approximately 3 hours, we will arrive to our camp in Challway valley (2920m). Around 7pm we will recuperate from the trek and eat dinner (Breakfast - Lunch - Tee time - Dinner).
DAY 3: CHALLWAY VALLEY - LA PLAYA - AGUAS CALIENTES
Around 5am we will have energetic breakfast and continue hiking along the canyon, we will appreciate the beautiful sunrise. We will walk for about 5 hours toward Playa Sahuayaco and during this period; we will observe a town called Collpabamba, also called the "Forest Cloudy Brow" where waterfalls, fruit-bearing trees, varied flora, and birds can be observed in the green canyon. If we are lucky, we will be able to observe the famous Peruvian bird called the "Cock of the Rocks'. Once at Playa Sahuayaco, we will take a local bus to drive us to the hydroelectric of the area. At about 1pm we will have our lunch at the hydroelectric canyon, were we will rest for half hour until the train departure. Around 3pm we will aboard the train from hydroelectric and 1 hour of travel to Aguas Calientes town (2000m). Here, you have the option of going to the thermal hot springs. We will have dinner at 7pm and accommodation at comfortable hotel in Aguas Calientes (Breakfast - Lunch - Tee time - Dinner).
DAY 4: AGUAS CALIENTES - MACHUPICHU - CUZCO
At 5am breakfast and half hour later aboard the first tourist bus to drop us to Machupichu main door, and to be the first visitors Inside Machupichu archaeological site you will have complete guided tour of this spectacular and mystical place. The guided tour include walk through the different section such as urban, agriculture, and the religions zone was used by the Inca Culture. According with the time and your feeling you can coordinating with the tour guide climb to Huaynapichu (Young Mountain) this climbing take around 1 hour to get the summit from where you can have the best view for photos of all Machupichu and of deep green canyon surrounding the sacred Inca City. At according time descend to Machu Picchu and then free time to explorer on your own. At mentioned time aboard a tourist bus to descend to Aguas Calientes town. Lunch will be in town and around 4pm we will aboard the backpacker train to Ollantaytambo (sacred valley) and from here we take a private van to drop us to the hotel in Cuzco (Breakfast).
After complete guide tour of Machupichu, you can desire to ascend to Huaynapichu at 7am or 10am. Another new option for climbers is the Machupichu Mountain, this is another highest mountain from you can have a better view of Machupicchu ruins and Waynapichu.
PERU ADVENTURE TOURS recommend to ascend to Machupicchu Mountain and skipping the Wayna Picchu Mountain.
SALCANTAY TREK TO MACHUPICHU INCLUDES
- Official English-Speaking guide
- Private transfer by van from Cusco to Mollepata (Private Service only)
- Public bus transfer From Cusco to Mollepata (Backpacker Service)
- Entrance to Salkantay trail
- Entrance to Machu Picchu ruins (day 4)
- Permit to climb the Wayna Picchu Mountain (day 4)
- Horse to carry food and camping gear and backpacks up to 8 kilograms per participant
- 1 emergency horse to be ride in case you feel sick/tired or to carry all your backpacks (Private Service only)
- Experienced cook
- Cooking equipment
- Teatime everyday (coffee, tea, popcorn, biscuit)
- 4 capacity tent (four season tent) - 2 persons per tent with plenty space for backpacks
- Double thickness foam sleeping mattress
- All meals on the trail (3 breakfasts - 3 lunches - 3 dinners)
- 1 night of hotel in Aguas Calientes; private bath and hot shower (3* category - day 3)
- Water supply (boiled) after every dinner or breakfast
- Return train ticket from Aguas Calientes - Ollantaytambo (Backpacker class)
- Bus from Aguas Calientes to Machupichu and then return to Aguas Calientes (Not all tour operators include this service)
- Kitchen and dining tent with camp tables and chairs
- Tents and food for our camp staff
- First aid kit and oxygen bottle for any participant and our camp staff
SEE OUR CAMPING GEAR, Click here...
|TOUR SCHEDULE & COST 2012
(Except January to March)
|SALCANTAY TREK TO MACHUPICHU - SHORT VERSION SINCE $695 USD Per Person
Hike The Andes To The High Jungle Of Machupichu
4 Days - 3 Nights
|Backpacker Service (Join group)
1 to more participants $695 USD each one
Private Service (Private guide)
2 participants $1085 USD each one
3-4 participants $983 USD each one
5 to more participants $715 USD each one
|Discount: $5 USD of discount for South American Explorers Club Members
Discount 3%: Tour Operators or Travel Agencies Only
Students: $5 USD of discount only with valid green ISIC card
|Organized Groups: We offer private and any time departure
|Backpacker Service Group Size: 8 Participants per tour guide
Private VIP Service Group Size: Just participants, tour guide and camp staff
|BOOKING: We highly recommended to book space prior you arrive to Peru
All prices stated above are subject to change.
Exchange rate $1 USD = S/. 3.02 (rate may vary daily).
Every night keep everything locked up in your tents to prevent any problems with robberies.
- Alcoholic drinks
- Last day lunch is not included
- Horse to carry your personal items (see below)
- Sleeping bag can be hired in our local office in Cusco $5 USD per day (-15ºC)
- Breakfast on the first day before to be collected from your hotel, if your hotel don't offer early breakfast service, we stop at Mollepata village to have breakfast for additional cost
- Extra night in Aguas Calientes
- Tips for guide and camp staff
This site is operated by PERU ADVENTURE TOURS a legally constituted company to the Peruvian government, which operates from offices in Arequipa and Cusco in Peru.
In accordance with the relevant statutory provisions referred in Peru Tourism law, its regulations, its decrees and other legislation applicable in both the country and abroad are issued these general conditions and responsibility as outlined below, which govern the provision of services on the one hand between the passenger or user of services "CLIENT", by other hand the "TRAVEL AGENCY" by the other hand the entities of the service providers such as airlines, hotels, restaurants, transport, guides and other tourism-related services and in connection with this contract.
For more information about full information of terms and conditions CLECK HERE
STAY AND EXTRA NIGHT IN AGUAS CALIENTES?
Yes, if you want to stay an extra night in Aguas Calientes after Salkantay trek this can easily be arranged. We will purchase your train ticket to return to Cusco the following day. You need to let us know at the time of making the trek reservation so we can reserve your train tickets in advance. Obviously if you stay an extra night then you will have to pay for your accommodation.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING/CARRY
- Backpack 65lt and big enough rain cover or plastic bag to cover the backpack when the horse will be carrying
- Sleeping bag can be hired from our office for $5 USD per day
- Rain jacket or poncho (plastic ponchos can be purchased in Cusco/Peru)
- Strong comfortable and waterproof footwear
- One complete change of clothing (you can afford to carry more changes of clothing if you hire a personal porters, see options below)
- Sweater and jacket (something warm)
- Water bottle and purification tablets (Micropur are recommended and can be bought in local pharmacies in Cusco)
- Flashlight and batteries
- Hat or cap to protect you from the sun
- Sun block (sun protection cream)
- Insect repellent
- Toiletries, towel and toilet paper
- Selection of small snacks, chocolate, dried fruit, biscuits etc
- Camera, plenty of film and spare batteries
- Swimsuit (if you plan on visiting the hot springs)
- You also need to bring your original passport on the trail
- Optional: walking sticks or poles
Dry season (April & November)
Day temperature 20ºC/25ºC
Night temperature -1ºC/7ºC
Wet season (December & March)
Day temperature 17ºC/22ºC
Night temperature 4ºC/10ºC
HORSES AND HORSEMAN SERVICE
Will cost $75 USD per day to ride or carry your personal items. You will need to carry with you a daypack with your Camera, bottle of water, snacks, a fleece or something warm and a poncho in case of rain (unlikely in dry season but as a precaution) and anything you will need before lunch as porters do not walk alongside you. Your bag will be waiting for you in your tent at campsites.
Please note there are fines if you give an excess of 18kgs so try to underpack rather than overpack.
NEW REGULATION FOR SALCANTAY TREK TO MACHUPICHU
Since July first of 2006 the INSTITUTO NACIONAL DE CULTURA and the UGM park control just anounced a new entrance for all the hikers (foreigner or peruvians).
For more information about the tour or you request a new date to departure for this tour, please contact us...
Some of our clients e-mail us saying our confirmation e-mails are placed to their spam folder rather than their inbox. We recommend to modify your JUNK or SPAM FILTER SETTINGS to receive our e-mail email@example.com
on the correct inbox. You may also want to add this email address to your list of known contacts. This will prevent our responses from being filtered into your Junk or Spam mail folder.