ADVENTURE COLCA CANYON HORSEBACK RIDING TOUR $629 USD Per Person
Horse Tour & Trekking 4 Days - 3 Nights
DAY 1: AREQUIPA - PAMPAS CAÑAHUAS NATIONAL RESERVE - PATAPAMPA VIEWPOINT - CHIVAY
At 7am we start our tour to the second deepest canyon in the world, driving on the left side of Chachani mountain (6070m), continue going up to 4400m over the sea level, is a Natural Reserve of Salinas and Aguada Blanca, is the nature habitat for the Vicuñas, one of South American camelidos, groups of Llamas, Alpacas, small lake (Bofedales), highlands views (Pata Pampa 4850m), snow caps and volcanoes, will stop every place to get short break getting pictures from all each place you like.
At 12pm we will arrive to Chivay town, located over 3600m high, there you will have lunch and after that we go to learn all about our horses will be riding. We will learn how to communicate with our mounts horsemanship techniques similar to those used by the famous horse whisperer and you will practice with the horses.
At 4pm. travel to the hot spring of LA CALERA.
At 7pm visit the Maria Reiche Planetarium, we invite you to immerse in the mysteries of the Colca Valley sky and enjoy the performance "Colca deep Canyon, deep sky". You can learn how the ancient inhabitants of the Andes interpreted the night sky according to their myths and beliefs. The performances include projecting constellations in the Planetarium dome as well as observing the stars of Colca`s sky through a professional telescope. Over night at this town, in a selected lodging.
You can choose spend the night at Chivay or Yanque village, both places have good quality acommodation, tell us at the booking time.
DAY 2: CHIVAY - YANQUE - ICHUPAMPA - PINCHOLLO
At 7am is the breakfast at the hotel and travel to Yanque village, from where we will star to ride our horses, this day you will go on a longer ride through the Colca valley with our friendly horseman, you will see spectacular terraces along the Colca river, colony churches, pre Incas ruins, Ichupampa and Lari village, they are typical villages on the left bank of the river and the trail is mostly even.
At 12pm after four hours riding ours horses, we will arrive to Lari, where we will have lunch and continue riding between the terraces, going down to the bottom and crossing the river to right side of the Canyon and then we up to Pinchollo village (3400m) where will spend the night in tents surrounded by mountainous range like Mismi, Hualca Hualca and Bomboya.
DAY 3: PINCHOLLO CONDOR CROSS LOOKOUT - CABANACONDE - LLAHUAR HOT SPRING
At 7am after nice country breakfast and packing all our camping gear continue riding our horses through the mountain and nice country (2 hours) to the famous Condor Cross (3600m), at this place is possible to appreciate the fly of Condors or sometimes seating on the big rocks, two hours spending looking this amusing and biggest flying bird in the world. Time to continue riding and seeing many remote villages in this spectacular Canyon.
At 12pm arrival to Cabanaconde town (3280m) nice and peaceful surrounded by pre Inca terracing. Here we have delicious lunch prepared with fresh and health local ingredients. At 1 or 2 pm start trekking to the deepest part of the second deepest canyon in world, nice trek following a serpentine dirt trail descending 1300m to the bottom, where will cross two hanging brides over the Colca River. After 4 hours of trekking finally arrival to Llahuar Lodge where are nice bamboo cabins located on the encounter of the Llatica and Colca River, this place have nice location and views of both canyons, this is Llahuar very interesting place for adventure lovers. Plenty of time to enjoying the hot spring (40ºC) located next to the river.
At 7pm nice dinner accompanied and protected by wonderful deep starry sky over the huge mountains. Spend the night at the charm bamboo cabins.
DAY 4: LLHUAR HOT SPRING - SORO VALLEY - HUAMBO - VOLCANOES VALLEY - EL PEDREGAL - AREQUIPA
At 6am we breakfast as we watch the sunrise light up the canyon. A short (two hour) relatively level trek along the left bank of the Colca River, takes us across abandoned terraces completely covered by cactus through a small valley called Soro (2050m). All too quickly we pass abandoned farms and several working farms, pick our last tuna (January to April), offered by the farmers and then we cross a suspension bridge over the Colca River to meet our 4WD. It's a breathtaking drive back up the canyon along a serpentine road smoothly executed by our experienced drivers. The views beckon us to make several photographic stops because it's hard to imagine that what’s to come can quite match the current scene. The magnificent views continue for the next as we make our way to Huambo (2900m), a village surrounded by green terraces, a lovely town square, and a different group of people wearing different local dress. At the highest point of our journey in the Andean range, at the "Mirador del “Ampato" we have a good view of the Ampato, a snow covered mountain. In 1995 the mummy of 14 year old "Juanita" was found by climbers. We continue on to see two small volcanoes in the vast Pampa de Qerqe (whose summit is only 300m) from there we travel to the coast.
El Pedregal (1400m) long green valley in the middle of the driest area located on the both site of the Panamericana highway. Direct return to Arequipa (2 hours).
If you book a backpacker service (Join a group) on day 3 will be necesary to climb up from Llahuar to Cabanaconde by the same way we used one day before to get down. From Cabanaconde we take public bus to Chivay to have our last lunch and then return to Arequipa travel takes 6 hours whole trip.
ADVENTURE COLCA CANYON HORSEBACK RIDING TOUR INCLUDES
- Official English-speaking guide
- Private four wheel drive (4x4) or public according your request
- First night at Chivay, second camping and third stay in bamboo cabins
- Tourist ticket of 70 soles or $30 US Dollars per person (Obligatory). This is the unique entrance to the Colca national park even if you don't stop at "Mirador Cruz Del Condor" (take care not many tour operators don't includes this tourist ticket), the entrance is valid to visit all the canyon but not valid for hot springs along the canyon
- All the foods (3 breakfast - 4 lunches - 3 dinners)
- Visit the Maria Raiche planetarium/showing and projection andean world constellations
- 5 - 6 hours horseback riding on the second day, on day 3 will be 5 hours of riding
- Peruvian Paso and Criollos horses and saddles
- Horseman to help you with horses
- All food and acommodation for our camp staff
- Food and place to stay for the horses
- Camping gear (Four season tents & mattrasses) only if you like to camp next to the river between the pre inca terraces, confirm at the booking time
- Oxygen bottle and first aid kit for participants and our camp staff
|TOUR SCHEDULE & COST 2012
|Any day between April to December
||ADVENTURE COLCA CANYON HORSEBACK RIDING TOUR $629 USD Per Person
Horse Tour & Trekking 4 Days / 3 Nights
|Backpacker Service (Join group And Shared van)
1 to more paticipants $629 USD each one
Private Service (Private van And Guide)
2 participants $755 USD each
3-4 participants $715 USD each
5 to more participants $647 USD each
|Discount: $5 USD for South American Explorers Club Members
Discount 3%: Tour Operators or Travel Agencies Only
Students: $8 USD of discount only with valid green ISIC card
|Organized Groups: We offer private service and any time/day according request
|Group size: 6 participants per guide
|BOOK HERE: We highly recommended to book space prior you arrive to Arequipa and take private service
* You will receive a basic course to ride Paso horses in the safety of our corral (beginners).
* We strongly recommend taking the private service and you will receive the supporting of the vehicle in case you don't want to ride any more.
* Private VIP service is recommended because the program on the first and last day will be more flexible according your request.
*Backpacker service is join a group of tourist on the first and last day, you will have limits to stop or to fellow your request.
* To participate on this tour we suggest having little experience riding long time (5-6 hours).
* The horses are great and well cared and they are very quiet and peaceful and friendly animals.
All prices stated above are subject to change.
Exchange rate $1 USD = S/. 3.02 (rate may vary daily).
Above prices include local taxes.
- Alcoholics and soda drinks.
- Sleeping bag (can be hired in our office of Arequipa $5 USD per day) only if you want to make camping.
- Breakfast on the first day.
- Tips for guide and camp staff.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING
- Day backpack to carry personal items during riding time
- Sleeping bag (can be hired from our office for $5 USD per day) only if you like to camp on the first or second day.
- Rain jacket or poncho (December - April).
- Strong comfortable and waterproof footwear.
- One complete change of clothing.
- Sweater and jacket (something warm).
- Bottle of water and purification tablets (Micropur are recommended and can be bought in local pharmacies in Arequipa).
- Flashlight and batteries.
- Hat or cap to protect you from the sun.
- Sun block (sun protection cream).
- Toiletries, towel and toilet paper.
- Swimsuit (for the hot springs in the Colca canyon).
- Selection of small snacks, chocolate, dried fruit, biscuits, etc.
- Camera, plenty of film and spare batteries.
- Extra money (soles) for tiping or to buy some souvenirs.
We don't hire our horses, sorry.
For more information about the tour or you request a new date to departure for this tour, please contact us....
Some of our clients e-mail us saying our confirmation e-mails are placed to their spam folder rather than their inbox. We recommend to modify your JUNK or SPAM FILTER SETTINGS to receive our e-mail email@example.com
on the correct inbox. You may also want to add this email address to your list of known contacts. This will prevent our responses from being filtered into your Junk or Spam mail folder.